SELF-ADAPTIVE DISSIPATIVE STRUCTURES,
Self-adaptive dissipative structures could play an important biological role. Knowledge of these structures should help citizens and revolutionaries (part 2 of the site)
Interactive, multi-agent software modelswhich can be freely downloaded from this siteillustrate the properties of these structures.
email : Philippe.Gascuel@wanadoo.fr
The site is in three parts:
- 1) "Self-adaptive dissipative structures " here
- 2) "Revolutionary capabilities " CLICK HERE
- 3) "What is the relationship between these two parties?" CLICK HERE
For "dissipative structures self-adaptive"
- 1) General software, initial version (scientific, sociological, philosophical aspects) CLICK HERE
- 2) Special software for the scientific study of self-adaptive, dissipative structures CLICK HERE
( What contradiction is at the basis of life? )
- 3) Special software for the study of a system that associates "self-organization" with "regulation between population and environment" (strong associations are possible with the "rules of responsibility" set forth in "Book"see, in particular "How are these two parts related?"). CLICK HERE new!
- 4) Interactive software module with advanced graphics, written by Maurice Engel in Visual Basic. CLICK HERE new!
- 5) Software modules 8 and 9, hypothesis on the origin of the first living structures, membranes and genes CLICK here new!
GENERAL INTRODUCTION FOR THE FOUR SOFTWARE MODULES
I have many years of experience with political activism as a worker in a manufacturing plant. I am not a biologist by profession; I was a computer scientist. I have attempted to clarify and illustrate a vision of the world that aims to help active citizens and activists.
Can an isolated researcher advance science? Can he or she make a valid discovery without being part of a team of professionals enjoying funding and research equipment? Generally, no. However, if an ideological bias is impeding the progress of researchersif, for example, many people are seeking a complex solution when the solution is in fact simple, then might it not happen that an amateur scientist could come along and say "lets give simplicity a try," and thus hit upon a new discovery?
I propose a working hypothesis, illustrated by didactic software modules, downloadable as freeware from this site.
My approach is not simply to present previously published ideas in a way that is popularly accessible. Rather, I am proposing a new and personal construct that I have come up with on my own.
My perspective is two-pronged: it concerns a conception of the world while seeking to help citizens and activists.
Citizens and activists with an interest in how todays society works and where it is going most often draw on a commonly held vision of the world, which takes no heed of the scientific progress of the last decades. I am convinced that this is not a fruitful approach.
For example, we often hear revolutionaries referring to the transition from still water to boiling wateror to water that evaporatesto illustrate the violent uprising of the great day, or as a metaphor for peaceful, democratic, and self-managed revolution. But the illustration found here (based on software models) is completely unknown, even though it is much richer. It is based on the self-impelled emergence (from a chaotic state) of a stable, efficient, even self-adaptive order.
How the proposed computer model worksor rather, the software modules that illustrate itis primarily geared toward personal research. However, with the options available, it is possible to run demonstrations starting from well selected initial recorded data.
It might happen that I would be unable to be of any assistance to certain scientists (biologists in particular), as they may have already adopted the same hypothesis that I advance some time ago. The happiness I derive from helping citizens and activists would still remain. And if all of these people also knew almost all of this before I came along (and some do indeed know a great deal), I would still at least have the good fortune of having found some answers to the personal questions that I ask myself.
(To go to "Political Introduction," click here)
WHAT DO THE SOFTWARE MODULES DOWNLOADABLE AS FREEWARE FROM THIS SITE SHOW?
On screen, there are about 20 large circles and 10 small ones. One can observe the behavior of these circles, which adhere to a set of elementary, pre-defined laws with programmable parameters and the resulting creations (evolving structures of large circles stuck together). Educated and informed subjectivity does the rest. The large circles can be molecules, cells, human beings, citizens . . . The structures can be dissipative structures, bacteria, human societies ...
SCIENTIFIC CONTENT OF THE SOFTWARE MODULES
The original software (first released to the public on 21 February1996) can be helpful in understanding decisive terms of deterministic molecular chaos theories and the thermodynamics of open systems (likely to exchange energy with the outside world). This software allows users to look for and find zones of initial conditions that generate non-repetitive, unstable processes of infinite duration in the general case, with an "arrow of time." Creative processes. One can observe individual and collective "histories" whose past cannot be mistaken for their future. In these systems, self-organization reigns sovereign. There are disasters that break "structures" that have been built from "particles" during the course of adventures that are sometimes enthralling. There can be "oscillations." The systems enthusiasm for creation never flags (provided there is no power failure!).The system can simulate both matter and energy. Directed time and space play fundamental roles (there is aging, and there is up and down).
The simulation suggests that self-organization not only consumes energy, but also favors energy consumption. The simulations show structures that evolve automatically toward forms that are at once more sophisticated and more efficient in their consumption of energy.
It is the creative system that does this, based on a few elementary laws, none of which is creative on its own. The nature of these laws (described in detail in the instructions) becomes obvious when one sees the software run. How they generate creation is also apparent. Users can set parameters.
It seems to me that there is still work to be done to explain the self-adaptive properties of my system in a universally comprehensible waythat is, in the language of mathematics. Might mathematicians tell me, first of all, whether this seems to them to be possible and, secondly, if it seems to be worthy of their interest? (See here the point on dialogue with mathematicians, as I understood it in October 2003 in "Summary" in section 6.7.)
In parts 2 and 3 of the software module 1 are extremely simplified simulations of "awareness of the outside world" and "solidarity" to be used as a basis for philosophical, political, and other sorts of discussions.
In the category "miscellaneous applications," I propose simulations that are also extremely simplified on "capitalistic exploitation," " class struggles," and "morphogenesis," tending to show that "PXNC" can be at the basis of a whole world concept.
In software module 3, we see how emerging self-organization can be limited by a negative feedback loop that brings the environment into the equation. One can study the adaptive reactions of the system to aggressions from the environment triggered by the experimenter. This software module 3 brings us closer to the "rules for activists' responsibility" proposed in the "Book" portion of the site.
In software modules 8 and 9, I explore the as yet largely unexplored avenue of research that purports (regarding living organisms and their origin) that function is at the origin of structures, and not the other way around, as is commonly thought. In truth, I think that both contradictory avenues are valid, but it is difficult to venture down them.
A little hand in software Devdur 1 and 2, to reflect on "sustainable development", I built a model with two emergences, one eats glue volatile drops that fall as rain top screen (as usual), and the other eats glue that her big round rob great first round at meetings. The second is emerging from a position of predator, and there is
1) unless the emergence predator remains "reasonable" system can live for a while "infinite". While not optimized structures programméees predators appear.
2) if the predator crossed a threshold, that only experience can be measured ( "transition from unsustainable exploitation"), is the rapid death of the two emergencies.
PROCESS X IN A CREATIVE NATURE (PXNC)
(To go to "X", click here)
The essential part of what I have to say to scientists is found in the article "Manifesto" (9/2004).
- A constant supply of energy allows for structuring of the matter, which in return, allows for increasingly accelerated degradation of the energy (process of optimization through self-adaptation).
- The structures that appear are not fleeting. They are stable in their existence and in their functioning within a set of defined conditions.
- Possible structuring affects all levels on our scale (not quantum): molecules (dissipative structures), cells (living beings), humans (societies).
- Does this process have an important role to play in the physical world, and, more than that, in the world of the living? This is a very tempting working hypothesis; it is not a certainty.
For the source of my ideas on PXNC, you can consult my correspondence with A. Oparin in 1957, which led me to discover Y. Prigogine. For this correspondence, click here
TOWARD ONE OR THE OTHER OF THE MAIN SOFTWARE MODULES, WITH ALL ACCOMPANYING PAGES
- 1) Original general software module (scientific, sociological, and philosophical aspects). Written in C++ language for Mac and PC. Not interactive during execution in the PC version. Two execution modes: "manual" or "predefined demo" ........ CLICK here to go to the introduction to software module 1
- 2) Special software module for scientific study of self-adaptive dissipative structures. This software module sometimes assumes that visitors have already familiarized themselves with the abovementioned general software module. It generates files of precise measurements that are exportable to Excel. Automated experiments running in series. Written in C++ for Mac and PC. Not interactive during execution in the PC version. Two execution modes: "manual" or "predefined demo." .......... It allows for a more thorough analysis of scientific phenomena, which in turn lays the way for philosophical propositions that are very general in scope (What contradiction is basic to living beings?)....... CLICK here to go to the introduction to software module 2
- 3) Special software module to study a system that associates "self-organization" with "dynamic balance with the environment." It cannot logically be understood without first studying software module 2. This module brings nothing new to the knowledge of emergence processes. It uses them for a simulation that targets both biological realism and activism....... CLICK here to go to the introduction to software module 3.
- 4) Software written by Maurice Engel in Visual Basic for PC. This software is devoted to presenting self-adaptive dissipative structures to a broad audience. It is interactive during execution on PCs running on Windows. Manual mode only. The source language is available ..... CLICK here to go to the introduction to software module 4
- 8 and 9) Special software modules for scientific study of self-adapting dissipative structures in a population of two species of free agents (maintained in equal proportions, one of them being "more effective"). They cannot be understood without prior study of software module 2. These software modules, very similar to one another, deepen our knowledge of processes of emergence. They show the collaboration of two levels of organization (and no longer of just one, as was the case in software module 2), to the benefit of effectiveness. We could see here an explanation of the origin of the first living structures: membranes and genes. ..... CLICK here for an introduction software modules 8 and 9.
- Devdur 1 and 2 for the study of "sustainable development", two emergences, one in the other parasite CLICK here
- You can run one of the above software modules and follow along with the proposed guide. Or, alternatively, you can browse through the site using the complete table of contents : From there, you can read, download and experiment and consult and download screen copies of long-term experimentation records ...
- Read. For example, read the digest providing an overview of PXNC (scientific and philosophical concepts).
- Experiment. For example, experiment with "Software Module 1," predefined demonstrations 10 to 15, which show very simply the inner workings of the model. Or you can differentiate between "natural" and "culture-based" knowledge with predefined demonstrations 2 to 6. Or with "software module 2," you can run predefined demonstrations 42, 43, and 44, which systematically explore the "viable" domain, the place where everything happens. Make your own experiments, in "manual" mode.
- View the recorded results of long experiments (lasting several hours) if you don't have time to run them yourself (for example, predefined experiments 42, 43, and 44).
- Software modules 3, 8 and 9 are to be explored last.
- You might want to play the videos of introduction to be more comfortable with your experiments Click here
if the content of this site has given you a desire to learn more. If this is the case, a bibliography awaits you!
I WILL HAVE ACCOMPLISHED WHAT I SET OUT TO ACCOMPLISH . . .
(To consult the "bibliography," click here)
If you find that this software model is useful to simulate phenomena not described here, please let me know! We could then work together to enrich the site with your discoveries.
If you write a new version of Maurice Engel's software in Visual Basic, working from his source language, provided here, and if this version seems worthwhile, would you be so kind as to send it to us?
My sincere thanks go out to all the people, some close, some far away, who have encouraged and provided help that was often decisive, with the building of these theories, these software modules, and this site.
This comprehensive Table of Contents was designed to facilitate your navigation on the site
GENERAL TABLE OF CONTENTS CLICK HERE
See also "MY SOFTWARE AND THEIR SOURCES" CLICK HERE